Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dinner and a Baby {Guest Post for NTSST}

Hello Never the Same Spice Twice followers!
 Im Rychelle and I blog over at Foltz Family Life. I have an eighth month old daughter, Paisley Grace who is the joy and center of our lives. I have waited for what feels like a lifetime to have a baby, and now that she is finally here I am not sure what I ever did without her. She makes me a better person *ahem* a more patient person to say the least :) Being a mom is the greatest gift in life, but I am sure that you all know that right??


If your household is anything like mine, its busy, chaotic and truth be told, there is never enough hours in my day to get it all done. My husband and I were always super busy before having a baby, and now with Paisley we are twice as busy. The thing that lacks in our household and gets the back burner is cooking at home. Especially with Paisley, who demands a lot of my attention, its hard to take the time needed to make healthy, good meals for us. Luckily, when Paisley was born my mom cooked for us while she was visiting, and then my step-mom cooked for us when they came, and the greatest blessing has been having my in-laws close by who have really helped us out in the meal department. We have managed to make it this far and not had to cook overly much. I tell my husband all the time, that I really see why people eat out or do take-in when they have a baby because its sooo much easier, and there is no mess to clean! Who hates clean up {hand raised}?


Whenever anyone of our friends has a baby I always volunteer to make a meal, well, one in particular because it makes sooo much food. Enough for them and enough for us so that I am not having to make two meals in one night, because that clearly is absolutely no fun! My all-time favorite meal is Chicken Tetrazzini. I know as Stephanie is taking care of her brand new little one, she probably has thought in advance, what she can cook, freeze and stock up on. IF you buy cooked chicken, whether it be a rotisserie chicken, or the already cooked and cut up, packaged chicken this is super quick to make and it makes a generous, generous portion. If you cook the chicken, cut it or shred it on your own then it does take some time. When I do make this dish, it generally makes one full 9x13 and one half filled 9x13 that I freeze for another time. 

Are y'all about ready to get your appetites on?

Chicken Tetrazzini from Southern Living
{Seriously the BEST recipe}

Chicken Tetrazzini
{Source}

Ingredients:

(16-oz.) package vermicelli noodles
1/2 cup chicken broth 
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (see above)
(10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
(10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
(10 3/4-oz.) can cream of celery soup
(8-oz.) container sour cream 
(6-oz.) jar sliced mushrooms, drained 
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon pepper
2 Cups (8oz) Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Directions:
1. Cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Return to pot, and toss with chicken broth

2. Stir together chicken and next 8 ingredients; add vermicelli, and toss well. Spoon mixture into 2 lightly greased 9- x 13-inch baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

3. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.


Simple Right?? Are you hungry now?? I know I sure am!!

AND.....
Because no night is ever complete without dessert I am leaving a simple recipe for Chocolate Cake. This Chocolate Cake recipe just happens to be vegan {dont get all weird on me, just try it first before you make assumptions} and it literally takes 5 minutes to prepare, get in the oven and a few dishes to clean :) Im for real!

IMG_4126.jpg

Cake Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Glaze Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp margarine or butter
2 tbsp soy milk or whatever milk you use
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. In an 8x8 baking dish mix all dry ingredients till everything is blended

3. Add in all liquid ingredients and mixing well enough that everything is blended together and sides are scraped down

4. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean

Ok...the directions next say to let cool for 2 hours....who seriously lets a chocolate cake cool for 2 hours!???? I definitely didnt let cool for 2 hours because lets face it, chocolate has to be eaten asap. Agreed?

5. Let cool till you think its ready to "Glaze" I waited maybe 45 minutes to an hour

6. When you think its close enough to glaze or frost begin making the chocolate glaze

7. For the Chocolate Glaze: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk and cocoa to a boil stirring frequently and then turn down to simmer for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir for 5 minutes

8. Add vanilla and immediately pour on cake. Glaze dries quickly so spread evenly and add any sprinkles, chocolate chips or candy to the top

9. Let cool for 1 hour. {Again, who does that??}

**This cake is way better the next day :) Are you drooling yet??

Well, fellow Never the Same Spice Twice followers, I think that about wraps us up for this post. I hope you have enjoyed this post and if you are close to Stephanie I hope you make this for her, when that little bundle of joy arrives :) 
Thank you Stephanie for letting me come and be part of your world and your blog! Its been an honor to be here!! Congrats and best wishes with that little princess. Cant wait to "meet" her!

See Ya Later Y'all!!




2 comments:

  1. New follower from the blog hop!! You have a great blog! And your little lady is ADORABLE!! I am looking forward to reading more! :)

    Please stop by and link up to my first ever blog hop!

    Much love,

    Kate

    www.designermommy13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. your gal is a doll! i have an 11 month old that won't wear anything on her head and it makes me so sad. :) new reader!

    karli
    http://farmerbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I enjoy reading your comments!!